Choose an Experienced Attorney The Help You Need, When You Need It SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION

New Jersey to Issue Drivers Licenses Without Regard to Immigration Status

April 19, 2021

On May 1, 2021, the State of New Jersey will begin permitting individuals to apply and receive drivers permits and licenses without regard to immigration status. New Jersey joins a group of other states which have determined it is in the best safety interest of all residents that individuals become properly licensed by their home state.


According to the Motor Vehicle Commission, New Jersey residents with a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) will be able to make appointments for driver licenses without regard to immigration status as of May 1. Every person wishing to take part in this process must apply for and receive an appointment from the MVC through their portal – walk up individuals will not receive assistance.

Individuals will need proof of identity (“6 points of ID”), proof of New Jersey address and either a Social Security number or ITIN. Updated requirements for “6 points” of ID will be available soon.

Individuals should visit this website: to determine if appointments are available. Appointments will be released periodically.


Individuals who possess a valid Social Security Number or an Individualized Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) may apply as of May 1. If you do not have an ITIN, you may apply through the Department of Treasury for an ITIN number by visiting the federal website:

Those who do not have an ITIN number can wait until after June 1, 2021, when they may submit an affidavit in lieu of the SSN/ITIN. At this time, the affidavit is not yet available but is expected in the coming weeks.


Individuals who apply will receive a basic New Jersey driver license or ID when they meet eligibility requirements to become licensed drivers in New Jersey. This basic driver license will be available to all eligible New Jerseyans regardless of immigration status.


Those who have a license or ID from another state, and it is currently valid or expired less than three (3) years ago should make an appointment for an out-of-state transfer. Make sure you bring all the required documents.